Tuesday, April 19, 2011

ENTRY NUMBER ONE

OK, here's the deal

If anyone follows my other blog The Hairy Edge, you have watched, or perhaps run from, the many videos I have posted there. The site to which I upload those videos is Vimeo. Vimeo is not only a free place that will host your videos, it is a very active online video making community. From casual videomakers like myself who regale the world with endless videos of my dogs, to aspiring film makers, to bona fide movie creators, Vimeo attracts and encourages idiots with cameras from all over the world.

One of the things Vimeo does is to host contests. All kinds of contests, inspiring video makers to create movies on a variety of themes, genres and topics. Inspiration is how I view contests. I don't really have a good psyche for contests, I've learned that about myself, or at any rate I should not take them too seriously

I shouldn't ever enter a contest trying to win. I'm a bad loser. Waa waa. Like that.

But contests can be inspirational. I have a variety of video making tools at my disposal, both concrete (cameras, video decks, editing computers) and ephemeral (training, experience, delusions) but I sometimes do lack inspiration. Making videos for a living as many years as I have, I've become very concerned with producing product; I enjoy making product, I enjoy the challenge of making something for a client, something that satisfies their bottom line as well as my creative side

I really enjoy shooting and editing videos on the events that Collette and I attend, videos of the festivals, videos with the girls. But it's been a while since I've made a video ... for no reason. I don't think I'm good at it. The more I think of it, I don't think I've made a video without something driving it, be it a contest, a class assignment or wanting to make a record of some experience Collette and I have shared.

So, along comes a new Vimeo contest. The first one that actually got my juices (excuse me, I may need a bib) flowing.

Moby is a musician. If you think you haven't heard his music, you probably have. I have actually edited video to his music, but for clients (um, did I just confess to some kind of crime? I plead the fifth, and I'll take a fifth of Jose Cuervo). I like his music. It has a cinematic quality that lends itself to soundtrack applications. Moby himself has utilized video along with samples, electronica etc.

Not surprising that he would team up with Vimeo to create a contest to inspire videomakers. What was surprising is that he has made available three tracks from his upcoming CD, making them public realm, that us Idiots With Cameras can use to create a video to

Oh, cool

The winner of this contest will have their work at Cannes. Yeh, right. I ain't going to Cannes, any video I make will not be shown at Cannes and I'm quite comfortable with that. I really am. There will be film crews entering this contest, shooting with Red cameras and lights and digital audio, they will have grips and Production Assitants and Directors of Photography ... oh my!

That isn't me. I think I'm going gonzo on this one. I think. I'm not really sure what I'm going to do but I want to do something.

The date of this posting is April 29, the deadline for the contest is May 9 ... what the fuck. What the hell am I doing

Well, I'm not sure but me being the Idiot With a Camera that I am .. and an Idiot with a Blog .. I decided I'd chronicle this little debacle ..er .. I mean adventure.

I have been asked in the past to describe my creative process as well as my production processes ... yes, when people are drunk they will ask you anything

So I guess with this blog, we'll find out. And I do mean we because as if this point, I really don't have any clue how I'm going to do this.

This blog will be entirely devoted to me creating a video for this contest. All my other bullshit will be hosted on The Hairy Edge as usual

No promises here. I may not get this thing done. It may be a total piece of shit. But I'm an Idiot With a Camera ... and my idiocy will not be stopped

Trust me, people have tried




No comments:

Post a Comment